Friday, February 27, 2009

The exceptional Quid hosts two etsy shops. One for the Vintage Love, the other for handmade jewelery and other delightful surprises. What do I mean by delightful surprises? I mean reclaimed house numbers, wearable artwork, a monogrammed tape measure, wild belt buckles, flashy wears, fashion for a good cause, so just click to find out.

Q&A

1. If you could live any time period, what would it be? What would you do?
My first thought would be 15th century Europe. But then I’m sure I would get my head lopped off for saying something stupid. I guess my second choice would be old Hollywood. I would travel with the troops, learn to dance like Ginger and win an Oscar all with my hair in pin curls, wearing false eyelashes and red lipstick.

2. Tell the story of at least one stellar vintage find…

By far my best vintage find is my couch. My husband and I have very particular taste in furniture which means we haven’t had a couch since we’ve been married. A few months ago I stopped in at one of my favorite thrift shops and found a little old man sitting on the couch of my dreams. It only cost $50 (for the couch, not the old man…thankfully he wasn’t part of the deal) and I practically did a little dance. After five years, we finally have a rockin’ place to sit!

3. What is etsy to you? Lifeblood, profession, obsession, joy, or something else?

Etsy came into my life at just the right time. The boy and I both unexpectedly lost our jobs within a few days of each other and etsy really helped give legs to my dream of having my own business. Since then etsy and I have developed quite the hot affair.

4. List three of your favorite films, artists or actors.

I’m in love with Tim Burton. His films are super great. What a lovely whacked out fellow.

If you haven’t seen the work of Jonathan Davis, you’re missing out on some of the best illustration of our time.

I read like 5 books at a time so it’s really important to me to find great authors rather than actors. Right now, my obsessions are Malcolm Gladewell (Blink), Sue Monk Kidd (Secret Life of Bees) and Gregory Maguire, (Wicked).

5. What advice would you have for Etsy starters?

In the words of The Joker, “Why so serious”? I think etsy works best for those who don’t take themselves too seriously. If you make something and it doesn’t sell, don’t assume you’re awful. Pay attention to what people are looking at and elaborate on that. And don’t be afraid to ask others for help. I’ve learned so much about my craft by simply hovering around in the forums. I learned really quickly that throwing a pity party isn’t flattering on anyone. And please, for the love of God, try to take the best pictures you can…I can’t tell you how much that helps.

6. What’s your ideal artist’s studio space?

Since I seem to have taken over every particle of space in our apartment, a studio is becoming more and more of an obsession. I guess my ideal space would be a place where I could keep the cats out of the yarn, my paint brushes out of the sink and my sewing machine off the dining room table. Yeah, that would be delightful.

7. List five things you wish you could buy on Etsy.

Listing only five things is nearly impossible! I have so many favorites! That’s why I started my blog…so I wouldn’t be the only one drooling...

Hands by Blue Bell Bazaar.





Also a work from Honeytree.

A work from Fleathers so cool I'll let you search for yourself rather than risk depriving Quid.

And last but not least, the avatar darling of strawberrycouture.




8. What question do you wish I’d ask, how would you answer?

I wish you would ask me over for tea. I would love some earl gray right now. I’d even bring my favorite tea cups for us to use!

9. If you could time travel, would you peak at the future?

Absolutely. I’m dying to see how the dress I’m working on is going to turn out!

***********************************************************
Of course, now I'm craving tea so badly that my taste buds threaten to riot strait out of my mouth. This is not the first time I've run into my passion for tea in an interview or blog entry, but I still feel like I must applaud Quid for her apparent ability to read my mind. All thumbnails and images were used with express permission of the artists.

Tune in every Weekend for more Interviews and reviews of fellow Etsy Crafters.

4 comments:

Happy Place Design said...

lovely interview!

Claire said...

Nnice blog!
Claire from heartspace!

Creative Coquette said...

Great interview! Now I have to go and make some tea :P

Audrey said...

Very interesting interview!!